Shop our Products & Services
Updated every Friday afternoon at 2:00 pm (Pacific Time). Last update: June 24, 2016.
Click here to go to Random Lengths Sample (PDF format)
This report contains brief excerpts from our full 12-page newsletter, which includes prices of more than 1,600 lumber and panel items, plus detailed summaries of market activity. Contact Random Lengths for a free sample issue.
Buyers kept a low profile, and soft pricing was more prevalent in framing lumber. Coming holiday weekends in Canada and the U.S. had traders working to pare inventories. Oppressive summer heat in the Southwest and Southeast was a factor limiting consumption. Traders also noted that customers — having covered many of their first-half needs — were waiting for purchases for new projects to get under way. The Random Lengths Framing Lumber Composite Price slipped $1.
|Random Lengths Framing Lumber Composite Price*||$348||$349||$342|
|KD Western S-P-F #2&Btr 2x4 R/L Mill Price||316||320||299|
|KD Eastern S-P-F #1&2 2x4 R/L, delivered Great Lakes||420||420||387|
|Green Douglas Fir Std&Btr 2x4 R/L (Portland)||353||350||333|
|Southern Pine (Westside) #2 2x4 R/L||378||381||352|
|KD Coast Hem-Fir #2&Btr 2x4 R/L||357||370||327|
|Ponderosa Pine (Inland) #2&Btr 1x12 R/L||705||705||670|
|* Weighted average of 15 key items|
Structural panel markets gained momentum. A strong week of sales, especially in the South, prompted producers to take a firmer approach to quotes by Friday. Southern markets appeared to find a bottom Wednesday and Thursday. Numerous factors aligned to give the Southern Pine plywood market a solid boost. Downtime planned for the week of July 4 by several producers helped cushion order files. The western Fir plywood market sustained recent strength. Solid sales helped mills raise prices.
(f.o.b. mill prices)
|(f.o.b. mill prices)||This Week
|Random Lengths Structural Panel Composite Price*||$373||$371||$369|
|Southern (west-east) 15/32-inch 3-ply rated sheathing plywood||367-387||360-380||415-435|
|Southern (west-east) 15/32-inch 4-ply rated sheathing plywood||372-390||362-380||415-440|
|Western 1/2-inch 4-ply rated sheathing plywood||395||383||408|
|North Central 7/16-inch Oriented Strand Board||275||277||208|
|*Weighted average of 11 key items|
Below are headlines of recent articles in the "Through A Knothole" section of our full 12-page newsletter, featuring articles of interest to the industry, including production/price trends, market analysis, trade issues, timber supplies, and much more. Contact Random Lengths for a free sample issue.
This Week in the "Through a Knothole" Section of Random Lengths
- Stud Survey: Production of studs has been on a steady upward course over the past two years, but the markets that mills are shipping to have gone through some adjustments.
- Trader’s Notebook: Negotiations between the U.S. and Canada on a new softwood lumber agreement will be among the top issues confronting wood products traders in the third quarter.
- Prices of kiln-dried Western Red Cedar decking have soared into uncharted territory this year in the aftermath of the Mary’s River Lumber sawmill closures.
- Robust demand for melamine-coated panels throughout much of the eastern U.S. has allowed suppliers to extend and sustain lengthy order files through the second quarter.
- The U.S. Court of International Trade has remanded an earlier decision by the International Trade Commission not to impose duties on hardwood plywood produced in China and exported to the U.S.