Shop our Products & Services
Updated every Friday afternoon at 2:00 pm (Pacific Time). Last update: August 28, 2015.
Click here to go to Random Lengths Sample (PDF format)
This report contains brief excerpts from our full 12-page newsletter, which includes prices of more than 1,600 lumber and panel items, plus detailed summaries of market activity. Contact Random Lengths for a free sample issue.
Framing lumber producers struggled to keep sales on pace with production. The early week meltdown in global financial markets took a toll, although the shock had worn off by late in the week after the U.S. stock market rallied. Wood products traders widely surmised that declining sales to offshore markets left too much production for the North American markets to absorb. The imbalance left prices in several species in full retreat. The Framing Lumber Composite Price fell $10, to $309.
|Random Lengths Framing Lumber Composite Price*||$309||$319||$409|
|KD Western S-P-F #2&Btr 2x4 R/L Mill Price||249||268||368|
|KD Eastern S-P-F #1&2 2x4 R/L, delivered Great Lakes||366||375||459|
|Green Douglas Fir Std&Btr 2x4 R/L (Portland)||310||320||347|
|Southern Pine (Westside) #2 2x4 R/L||312||325||499|
|KD Coast Hem-Fir #2&Btr 2x4 R/L||311||315||380|
|Ponderosa Pine (Inland) #2&Btr 1x12 R/L||665||665||680|
|* Weighted average of 15 key items|
Structural panel prices maintained an upward trajectory. The steady upward climb in OSB prices remained intact, even if activity was less than robust. Lumber and financial markets were a drag on traders’ attitudes, but healthy order files allowed producers to nudge prices higher. Last week’s brisk trading gave way to a more moderate pace in Southern Pine plywood. But sheathing prices continued to gain. Western Fir plywood sales also failed to match last week’s pace, but prices were on solid footing and crept up on momentum from the recent activity.
|(f.o.b. mill prices)||This Week
|Random Lengths Structural Panel Composite Price*||$360||$354||$407|
|Southern (west-east) 15/32-inch 3-ply rated sheathing plywood||390-415||378-415||455-505|
|Southern (west-east) 15/32-inch 4-ply rated sheathing plywood||395-420||383-417||472-517|
|Western 1/2-inch 4-ply rated sheathing plywood||415||409||488|
|North Central 7/16-inch Oriented Strand Board||210||205||222|
|*Weighted average of 11 key items|
Below are headlines of recent articles in the "Through A Knothole" section of our full 12-page newsletter, featuring articles of interest to the industry, including production/price trends, market analysis, trade issues, timber supplies, and much more. Contact Random Lengths for a free sample issue.
This Week in the "Through a Knothole" Section of Random Lengths
- Wood products consolidation: The second of a three-part series takes a look at the wholesale/distribution industry, which has been hit just as hard as the manufacturing sector.
- Shifting trends in foreign trade and increased production have weighed down the Southern Pine lumber market in 2015.
- A ruling from the Court of International Trade in the Chinese hardwood plywood case is due any day.
- Western Fir and Southern Pine plywood prices have moved off their record premiums to OSB, but the premiums remain at historically higher levels.
- Canadian production of Western S-P-F boards has evolved over the years to ES-LP, as mills have followed customer preferences and solid returns.